In 1925, the Women’s Athletic Association (W.A.A.), a UW student physical education organization, raised more than $3500 to build a “lakeside cottage” in the area that we today call Wally Bauman Woods.
The cottage, with its large living room fireplace and screen porch overlooking Lake Mendota, was a favorite destination for day hikers, skiers, skaters, and ice boaters. The W.A.A. operated the outing facility for about 15 years before turning over management responsibilities to the Wisconsin Union Hoofers Club. Hoofers renamed the place Blackhawk Lodge and offered “accommodations for groups up to forty.”
The lodge closed in 1948.